Tuesday, October 23, 2007

#15 On Library 2.0 & Web 2.0 ...

The shift to online communication with tools like FaceBook and MySpace concerns me - they are great for re-uniting people and for keeping people who are separated in contact, but I worry about people using it to keep in contact with friends who live just down the road. Will it contribute to the gradual death of real human contact? I don't know about you but I can think of nothing worse than going home and jumping on the computer after I've stared at the computer all day at work. I would rather go out with a friend than webchat with someone I have never met and not really sure if they are who they say they are.

But getting back to libraries - I think it's exciting to see the changes in how libraries deliver services. I know as a librarian it is my responsibility to keep up with these new online tools, but because I don't wish to use them everyday I feel I am being left behind already. Rick Anderson suggests there may not be any need to build a 'just in case' print collection any more but I don't think we are at that point yet. Since I deal with mostly elderly clients every day I know that there is a large population out there who WANT to access a print collection for some time yet and I don't like the idea of forcing them to learn a new technology when so many of them are resistant to change. I have to admit - I much prefer to read something in print than off a computer screen. However as pointed out by Michael Stephens I do recognise that services are enhanced by the digital revolution, but I think he poses a very tall order for librarians!

No comments: