Tuesday, November 20, 2007

#22 Audiobooks (or "The end is in sight ")

Downloading eBooks is something we often get asked about at our library, as all of our borrowers are vision impaired. We provide audio books and Braille books as part of our service, but being able to download the text would be wonderful. Some of the books I came across in my travels (like some of the children's books on www.openlibrary.org) were scans of the book pages - this would be problematic for our borrowers, as it doesn't comply with screen reading software like JAWS. I didn't particularly like the structure of World EBook Fair - I would prefer to be able to browse the titles and see a list of most popular downloads, for example. The 'Browse Collections' option didn't break the collection up into genres like I thought it would. I don't believe eBook sites are available in Australia yet, but I'm sure it can't be too far down the track.

No comments: